The Kwinana Alumina Refinery was commissioned in 1963 and was the first of Alcoa’s three Western Australian alumina refineries. It has an annual nameplate production capacity of 2.2 million metric tons and produces non-metallurgical alumina and smelter-grade alumina. Approximately 75 per cent of the refinery’s total production is exported, and the remaining 25 per cent is shipped to Alcoa’s Portland Aluminium smelter in Victoria.
The refinery occupies approximately 1,500-hectares within the Kwinana Industrial Area. Over 500 bores and other sampling points are regularly monitored for changes in water level and water quality that may result from Alcoa’s operations. The data are collected by Alcoa and submitted to Rockwater for the preparation of annual compliance reports.